Monday, December 8, 2008

The First WBL!

I went to the WBL this weekend for the inaugural run. I haven’t been to this ride ever I think, as I’ve always been doing a local ride or something that day. The ride was a 3.5 hour one that went through Watkinsville to Statham and back. For most of the ride I was in the top 10-20, with me taking 3-4 pulls. I felt pretty good, but for good reason, since the first ride is always quite docile. A couple of times during the ride the pace would kick up quite nicely, and I kept wondering who was making it do so. After one exceptionally hard pull up a hill, we slowed down, and someone said, “I guess Floyd’s off the front; we slowed down.” I thought for a second and said, “Floyd who?”. They said, “Landis dummy!”. Not until he came back to get into the rotation did I realize I was riding with a past winner (before the doping stuff) of the Tour De France! He was pretty nice, and talked to anyone who wanted to speak with him. Guys like this can completely change your view of them. I’ve been on the fence about Floyd since his suspension, but regardless of what he did, he seems like a fairly nice person, minus a bit of a mouth, lol. It reminds me of everyday instances, where people do stupid things that make people angry. I’ve done some myself in the past, but when things are done to me I try and take into consideration the reasons why someone might have done what they done, and how they react afterwards to the positive, or negative, influence it has on themselves and the people around them.

No comments: