Wednesday, November 12, 2008

What should I do?

I’ve been debating for a while on what to do with my blog. I know people visit it because the counter keeps climbing. I’ve been told by a “local” that “Only self-absorbed people have blogs”, which very well may be true. This blogging thing has caused me to say some stupid things in the past, and I already have enough enemies as it is. I guess what I’m getting at is I’m thinking of calling it quits. I am on Twitter now, which is an interesting new way to do a sort of “live blog”, and it’s working out pretty well. Twitter isn’t quite as personal as sitting here and typing up stuff. You just put in what you’re doing and you’re done. If any of you that read, whether you be family or friend, want me to keep on posting, gimme a reply or something to this and let me know why. Let me know what you want to hear about as opposed to “me,me,me”. I don’t know what else to write about, but gimme some ideas! Recent events have led me to try and change the way I think about things. I changed my little caption up top to “I don’t want to gain the whole world, and lose my soul”, which is an excerpt from a song by Toby Mac, a Christian artist. I guess it means that in light of recent events and the way I’ve handled things incorrectly, I don’t want to become successful in cycling if it means losing my soul. I don’t want to lose the friends I’ve made thus far in this game and push people aside in trying to climb the ladder to a possible career. I’ve also not been fair to my spiritual growth and wife. I haven’t really had a “dialogue” with God in quite some time, so this week Hope and I started sharing in reading the Bible again like we did before we got married. I think most of the issues I’ve had with the decisions I’ve made and with people personally has been because of my position with my faith. I haven’t necessarily “back-slid” to the point of doing anything awful, but I have stopped taking other people into consideration at times when decisions affected more than just me personally. I’ve also been short-tempered with Hope and taken the support and love I get from her for granted. I guess this all boils down to my priorities. I truly feel if I just ride my bike, thank God for the ability to ride bike, my supportive and wonderful wife, family, and friends, and start controlling my “mouth diarrhea” that my life would be much MUCH better!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

keep the blog.

Anonymous said...

keep the blog; but be careful putting cycling/yourself ahead of your family. A possible career in cycling sounds great, until you look at who is there. Every US pro in my area is dirt poor. Every dime / free moment they have goes into living the dream. Sure it's not quite as nice to put in my 8 - 10 hours a week only to barely be able to hang on when they hit it; but i promise you this - my wife is much better taken care of due to wise decision making. Afterall, I promised her dad and God i'd take care of her, i didn't promise him anything about cycling.

Make a list of Priorities; but keep the blog.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you and Hope are making some wise decisions for life. I'm proud of you! Just remember everything you do now will be remembered by Aaron. It will affect his life forever. It doesn't matter whether you ride, walk, or run, you both are a guide for his life. Let him see you reading the Bible. That will mean a lot to him later in life.

Anonymous said...

Dustin this is your life to live, noone else. You should worry first about God, your family,and then your friends. Just pray for your enemies to have peace with you, and that God will grant them a humble heart and the wisdom to see that forgiveness is an essential part of the Christain life. Just like mistakes are a large part of all human life. If you like the blog, well you should obviously keep it. The other guy had a huge point about local pro's being dirt poor. If any of us mortals were meant to really make any money at this we would have crossed the pond years ago. It sounds like to me that you are doing much more to allign yourself with the right outlook and there is nothing wrong with aimming to excel in your cycling as long as you keep putting God and family first, which you are, so good job and keep fighting the good fight!