Tuesday, April 28, 2009

It Has Returned!

Okay, so as of late, I've had a bit of an issue getting motivated to get out and ride. It was getting better little by little until Saturday night, when my motivation went through the roof! The team I race for, Iron Data p/b Apto Solutions, received an invitation to race in the Athens Twilight, which is the BIGGEST criterium in the entire United States. Saturday night as I lined up to race with about 180 other guys, I got so nervous that I almost made myself sick! There wasn't a single spot left on the barriers throughout the ENTIRE course! It really gave me a huge taste of what professional racing is truly about. As the whistle blew, I'm surprised my heart didn't explode from beating too fast, lol. We headed down the straightaway and took turn one, then two...CRASH! I got caught in the first crash of the night and had to head back to the pits. It's not very easy sprinting onto a raging pack of bulls running at 35mph either! Regardless, I was dropped about 10 minutes later, but it was still super fun.

Sunday was the Historic Roswell Criterium, in which I competed in the 2/3 race, followed by the Pro/1/2 race. The 2/3 race went well until the end, which some small AVX guy went down the line like an idiot and proceeded to lean into turn one touching a pedal. He took down about 20 guys, but I managed to skid to a stop on the curb within inches of where everyone else was piling up. I was dropped 30 minutes into the Pro race. All in all, I had a very fun weekend, and my motivation and reason to want to succeed in the sport has fully returned!

No comments: