Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Grant Park and the Late Nighter

So Grant Park could be taken either way. I got 5th, which brought with it some payout (but less than 6th Saturday?) and some more category points (1 more for 19 total). A break went at the right time and two guys got some serious time on the field. A few of us went off the front to chase and dropped the field, but were caught within a few laps. As soon as we were caught, I attacked again to hopefully wear out some people who had struggled to stay in the pack that just chased us down. For once, my attack worked! Six of us got off the front and spelled “ball game” for the pack, holding our “chase break” for the remainder of the race. Once again, my crap sprint yielded me 5th place as I stated above, but I’m not really disappointed. My normalized power for 46 minutes was 325 watts, which is decent considering this was more or less a “climbers” crit. The only regret I have is that I worked too much, as three or four of us worked very hard in the chase group to…well…chase. The one in the group that got the last podium spot was the guy who did absolutely nothing in the group. He sat at the back the entire time and sucked wheel. Not really a big deal, as I’m convinced had he worked he would have been shelled off the group. I got an insight to who some tough riders are in the 3’s, as my break-mates who worked were all very strong. Next race isn’t until Labor Day weekend, so time to recover and get some longer rides in!

I almost forgot about the “Late Nighter” part of the title. Nothing major here, just the little guy having an upset stomach till pretty late last night and keeping us up. Once he started to settle down he was laying next to me in the bed. He would rub his little night pants and then rub my hair. He did this for about 5 minutes till he finally passed out. Then my wife took him to his crib and all was well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dustin! It is I. Emilio! I have not spoke with you now for some time. I wonder how things have come for you on bike race. I am playing lots of soccer in Texas. I have won some games we play as the high score of the El- Paso Bulls.I kick like a giant bull when I go for the goal. I wanted to see about my numero 1 bull, you Dustin. I like that you do well with the race. I wish you most luck in season. Let's fight like the bulls of old Mexico amigo. I never forget pretty faces or a brave bull like yourself. your face shows the bull inside, See you late I think and very well luck to you!

Emilio Azteca- "The Aztec Warrior" and "The Raging Bull of El-Paso"