Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Mental Fitness

So I rode the trainer tonight. A lot of people think I'm crazy when I tell them that I love my trainer, but that's because they just don't get it. When you're on the road, it's nothing to hit an interval at about 70-75% of your lactate threshold and hold it there for, say, 30 minutes. You have scenery, companions in some cases, did I mention scenery, and other things that help the time pass quite nicely. When you're on the trainer, it's just you and whatever Tyler Perry movie your wife decided to watch for the night. Basically trainer time for longer sustained intervals = suffering. I know that you're thinking "Well I can suffer just as good up a long climb when I'm out as I can when on the trainer." I'm gonna have to call your bluff there, as I know for a fact that even the worst climbs seem shorter, as far as a timed interval goes, than a long effort on the stationary guillotine. Dare I say that riding my trainer once every week or two is what helps me past those suffering times in races? I mean, If I can last 30 minutes at 100% FTP on the trainer in silence, it should be that much easier when in the peloton racing, where your mind has things to concentrate on such as moving up in the pack, watching for breaks, checking for teammates, ect. That's just my $.02, and that won't buy anything these days! Oh, and looks like my blog has finally hit 1000 hits! Thanks for reading!

No comments: