Monday, April 21, 2008

Rest Time!

Yes is the answer if your question is “Is this what comes after mountain time?”. I rode with two teammates over in the gaps known to locals as “Turners Corner” because of where we park to ride them. Saturday was my ride with teammates, and it was a tough one. We hit the first lap around the gaps very hard, basically racing up each one. When we started our second lap, I was already feeling the effects of the first halfway through the lap. I was cramping, tired, an…..oh wait, I BONKED! Yes friends, it was one of those days. I would get intermittent bursts of energy that lasted for about 2-3 minutes, but would quickly cramp up again or just get tired. Maybe doing this in training will help it not to happen so much in racing.

Sunday, which was yesterday of course, I went back up to the gaps with an ex-teammate to tackle the gaps again at a bit friendlier pace, and for less time (about 40 miles instead of 75). I still felt the acid in my legs when we started out, but I had a great ride with no cramping, and climbed at a good high endurance pace/low V02 pace for most of the climbs. The day before was all threshold pace, so I can understand why I couldn’t last for the full 5 hours. Yesterday’s 2 hour ride up there was just the kind of rehab I needed. Today is rest time, and I look forward to it 100%!

No comments: