Saturday, March 15, 2008

Why yes, I do...

Have a video blog,that is. I'm visiting family, though, and am toast from the tt and circuit races from today. Yes, you guessed it, I'm at again with this bike racing thing. Today was an interesting one, and I'll try and lay it out to the best of my ability.
The time trial this morning went pretty well and in my favor. I felt fairly strong, but didn't have my usual borrowed (I'm a bum!) front Zipp wheel from my teammate. I ended up riding my front road wheel that normally gets ridden in road races and such. I was pretty surprised at how much it didn't really slow me down, and ended up pulling off a respectable 4th place.
Now for the circuit race. I have been told numerous times by different people that category 4 racing has nothing to do with teamwork. Unfortunately, I had that attiude some last year, and it has cost me the respect of some teammates and other riders which I may never be able to re-aquire. Today's circuit race was definitely proof that teamwork DOES work in this category of racing, and brought me to greatly respect the selfless work my team put forth to help me stay up top (2nd) in the overall GC race for the weekend. Quite frankly, I was asked what to do at the beginning of the race, and I said I didn't feel like I had a break in me. Like a doofus, I didn't take my own advice and actually chased after a break that had one of my teammates in it. I honestly don't know what I was thinking at the moment, but for some reason when I saw the guy that won the time trial, and the guy that got 5th on a road bike, go up the road, I thought "maybe I should chase them". Mind you I already had a teammate dedicated to suck wheel and do nothing in the break to physically and mentally wear those two riders down. After catching the break, I sat and watched my teammate take a few incredibly strong pulls to his breaking point, and then drop off. In the meantime, the rest of my team was taking charge of the pack situation and making sure the pace dropped enough for us to actually establish a break. In one of the most painful races ever, we managed to pull together in the break, and I got 2nd. The great thing about it was even though I broke the team plan to get me in a pack sprint like a dummy, my team still selflessly organized in the peloton and took control of the race anyways to help me stay away. Kudos goes out to all the team, and hopefully I can manage to survive tomorrow at the road race without anyone there to watch my back! Thanks guys!

No comments: