Monday, March 17, 2008

Yesterday's race and some reflection

So I decided just not to put a video blog up this week, sorry. I had something, but after the long message I posted the other night, I figured I covered everything that should have been covered. On top of that, reading edifies the mind more anyways, I’m sure.
Yesterday’s race was almost as eventful as Saturday’s, but was much harder without a team. Saturday was a 50 mile road race with a good little climb, some rollers, and a couple miles of dirt road that was probably a little more sand than dirt. After the first lap the pack was still all together, with only a few unlucky guys who were at the back when we first hit the dirt road who got dropped. When we hit the climb the second time, all of us at the front made a move to attempt to split the pack up some, and it worked pretty well, with only about 10 of us making the split. We were only able to hold the pack off about 15 seconds until the dirt road, at which point we knew we could make the gap larger and unleashed all we had at the moment. When we made the turn on the dirt road, the pack was nowhere to be seen, and that’s the way it stayed the rest of the day.
On the last lap this new guy I’ve never raced with before name Ty (spelling?) broke away from our break-away group and tore us a new one, taking his third first place finish for the weekend. You Cat 3’s might have your hands full with this guy, as he moved up to category 3 after yesterday, or so he said he was going to.
Now on to where my training stands as of right now. To the best of my ability, and my understanding of training so far since my acquisition of a coach, I think I’m doing fine. I feel fairly comfortable sitting at the front of the pack, and even though I didn’t pull of a first place this weekend, I feel like I’m a lot stronger than I was last year. Obviously, there is coming a time when I may plateau, but right now I feel like instead of doing such, I am slowly getting stronger from week to week. I have bad days/races like anyone else. I was very blessed this weekend, and didn’t nessecarily have such a day. It will come though, and I feel that I’m mentally prepared for it. Like my quote a couple weeks ago stated, I feel that I’ve prepared myself and am still preparing myself to accel. In doing so, I won’t be mad if I have a bad day, I’ll just write it off as such and move on. I feel that in preparing myself, I have made myself much more useful to my team, and have greatly increased my potential to move up to the next category. I guess that’s what it’s all about, though. This is my journey from then until now…

No comments: